Jacob’s Hero

by Rebecca Einstein Schorr on 18 June 2012 @ 8:35 am

Dear SuperSam,

We’ve never met. But I know all about you because your mommy (Ima on the Bima) and my mommy (Frume Sarah) are friends. According to legend, my mommy was standing in the back of a session at the URJ Biennial in 2007 because I was getting too kvetchy to stay in the audience. It was like one of those moments in a movie when two people see each other across a crowded room and something magical happens. I don’t know who saw whom first…but it was love at first sight. They often describe themselves as kindred spirits — whatever that means.

My mommy told me that you are a superhero. That is so cool because I am a superhero too. Well, not yet. But when I grow up, the Batman who is in the Batman suit will be ready to retire and then I can be Batman. That’s how the origin story goes. Did you know that? But you are already a superhero, my mommy says. Because you are already fighting bad guys. I think you are so cool. I say your name now before the Sh’ma at night and am sending you a picture of me in my Batman suit. My mommy told me that lots of people all over the whole entire world are sending you superhero pictures so I wanted to send one too. And she’s going to tell all of her friends about it too.

Anyway, keep fighting the bad guys.

Your new friend,
Jacob

*****************************

It’s true! You can participate in the Superheroes for Sam: A Photo Project. What an easy way to let a sweet little boy and his family know that people all over the world are thinking of them, praying for them, and cheering for them. Won’t you join me?

1 Hannah 18 June 2012 @ 9:40 am at 9:40 am

How sweet!

2 Rebecca Einstein Schorr 19 June 2012 @ 4:57 pm at 4:57 pm

I thought so as well. When I mentioned Sammy’s name last night, Jacob corrected me and told me that we must call him by his title, “SuperSam.”

3 Brianna Soloski 18 June 2012 @ 10:58 am at 10:58 am

This is so sweet and a perfect start to my Monday. I’m continuing to pray for your little buddy Sam!

4 Rebecca Einstein Schorr 19 June 2012 @ 4:58 pm at 4:58 pm

Thanks. And I’d know that they’d love to get your picture on their Team wall!!

5 Irene 18 June 2012 @ 2:02 pm at 2:02 pm

SuperSam was on our Mi Shebeirach list last Friday at Congregation B’nai Tzedek in Fountain Valley, CA (though not listed by exactly that name). I hope his doctors are smart and very skillful and his treatment goes well. Please send cyber hugs to the family from me.

6 Rebecca Einstein Schorr 18 June 2012 @ 8:19 pm at 8:19 pm

Will do. And feel free to let the folks at home know that they can do a mitzvah and participate in this photo project. We are determined to show SuperSam that he’s got a HUGE team rooting for him.

7 Galit Breen 18 June 2012 @ 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm

Love this!

(so very much)

8 Rebecca Einstein Schorr 19 June 2012 @ 4:59 pm at 4:59 pm

Thanks. Still so shocked by the whole thing…

9 Steve 19 June 2012 @ 1:05 am at 1:05 am

What a great project! I mailed off the cover story from Orange County Jewish Life. My smiling countenance will beam down on Sammy, conveying my prayers for r’fuah sh’laymah.

10 Rebecca Einstein Schorr 19 June 2012 @ 5:00 pm at 5:00 pm

Did you remember to define the word countenance for him? He IS only six…

xoxo