Torah’s Light

by Rebecca Einstein Schorr on 09 October 2012 @ 2:45 pm

Dear Son,

When Ben was consecrated, I had just returned from completing the Nike Women’s Marathon in San Francisco.
When Lilly was consecrated, I had just been diagnosed with meningitis.
Both events took place on the family bimah; Daddy and I had been married on it, been confirmed on it, became Bar/Bat Mitzvah on it (or its pre-completion location), etc. And both events took place surrounded by our shul family. Many of whom have known Daddy and me since we were your age.

You, Jacob, did not share the same bimah for your consecration.
You did, however, ascend the very same bimah on which we raised the chuppah for your Uncle Zacky and Tante Jen.

You big brother gave you some solid advice before you left the house on Sunday:

The last words are not “good night.”

A good reminder. Because you have been practicing the Sh’ma for five years.
Always ending with a sweet, and sleepy, “good night.”

How touched I was to be invited by our synagogue’s rabbi to bless you and your classmates as you marked the formal start of your Jewish education.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Consecration Class of 5773:

We dedicate you to Torah – to a never-ending
fascination with study and learning. With a book,
you will never be alone.

We dedicate you to chuppah (wedding canopy) – to never-ending
growth as a human being, capable of giving and
receiving love. With loving family, friends, and synagogue community, you will never be alone.

We dedicate you to ma’asim tovim (acts of lovingkindness) – to a never-ending concern for family and community, justice and charity. While you care for others, you will never be alone.

We, your parents and teachers, are so happy to share with you our Torah …which has been passed down through thousands of generations. As we read towards the very end of the Torah:
תּוֹרָה צִוָּה־לָנוּ מֹשֶׁה מוֹרָשָׁה קְהִלַּת יַעֲקֹב

Moses commanded us the Torah, an inheritance of the entire congregation of Jacob (Deut 33:4)

And so now, we ask God’s blessing upon you, the Confirmation Class of 5783:

May God bless you and keep you.
May God’s Face always be turned towards you and be gracious unto you.
May that feeling inside of you — that feeling of God’s Presence — always bring you a sense of calm and a sense of completion, of peace.

You marched proudly around the sanctuary with your newly-made flag. A family tradition started by Bubbe when I was young. You pointed to the words and asked me to read it to you. “I haven’t learned those letters yet, I think,” you said. Giving me the opportunity to remind you that you need not be afraid for God is with you.

May the light of Torah always illumine your journey and bring you as much joy as it did this past Simchas Torah.

Love always,
Mommy

1 Gail Raphael 09 October 2012 @ 3:13 pm at 3:13 pm

Rebecca, this is so touching. Thank you for sharing your experience with Jacob. Though I feel a novice at putting my emotions into words in comparison to your skillful and beautiful writing, I had the same joyful feeling at Maddie’s Consecration on Sunday too. It was a new congregation and a different experience for us too. And I found myself missing you, and your friendship more than ever. :o)

2 Rebecca Einstein Schorr 09 October 2012 @ 4:59 pm at 4:59 pm

I am so glad that Maddie had a wonderful experience. And I am certain that you could compose something equally as compelling…in YOUR beautiful writing.

Missing you too.

3 Irene 09 October 2012 @ 3:34 pm at 3:34 pm

A heartfelt post……I’m so glad that you got to be a part of this big step for Jacob.

4 Rebecca Einstein Schorr 09 October 2012 @ 5:00 pm at 5:00 pm

Me too. It was an unexpected pleasure!!

5 Amitzah 09 October 2012 @ 4:31 pm at 4:31 pm

Thank you for sharing that moment with us. I am so proud of Ben and Jacob! Ben sounds like he is being a great big brother, and Jacob sounds so brave! You have some pretty awesome kids (Lilly too, I can never forget Lilly). 🙂

6 Rebecca Einstein Schorr 09 October 2012 @ 5:00 pm at 5:00 pm

Ben gave the advice as we left for synagogue. (Services started too close to his bedtime). Lilly, however, was on hand to celebrate with her little brother. They, and we, miss you.

7 Pini Peled from Israel 09 October 2012 @ 5:56 pm at 5:56 pm

Dear Rebecca. I just love your personality & qualifications!
May the light of Torah always illumine you and your wonderful family and bring you as much joy as it did this past Simchas Torah.
I think we should meet again, have some talking, reading, singing, etc.
Please let me know if you have your disc at home because Jenn couldn’t find it and would like to hear it.
Please excuse me for being level with you – That’s the way I am!
Pini.
P.S. MY WEBSITE IS IN HEBREW, SORRY!

8 Sara 09 October 2012 @ 6:41 pm at 6:41 pm

For more reasons than I can put into words, this post made me cry.
I miss you, and your family.

9 Keren 09 October 2012 @ 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm

What a sweet occasion. I’m so glad I came across the post (and blog).

10 Debra Kassoff 10 October 2012 @ 11:14 am at 11:14 am

So lovely, of course. I want to hear more about the flag. And I’m really glad to hear that it was a good experience for you. Mazal tov, mama.