Close Call

by Rebecca Einstein Schorr on 04 October 2013 @ 3:23 pm

socks

Tomorrow, it will be two weeks.

Two weeks since our dishwasher, ten minutes into its cycle, began to smoke and spark.

“Dinner and a show,” we remarked to our Sukkah guests, with restrained horror.

It took a week for the repairman to get out to the house.
It took a second week for him to return with the plethora of parts required to fix the darn thing.

I know that plenty of households operate just fine without a dishwashing machine.

Mine isn’t one of them.

It’s been an ecological disaster. We’ve gone through enough paper supplies that it looks as though we’ve had a huge party. (Which we haven’t)
We’ve taken to eating out this week because it is just too difficult to get our dishes clean (by hand) plus the breaker has had to stay off which means that there has not been a garbage disposal either.

I was at my limit this morning.

Me: If the repairman comes and tells me that he can’t fix the machine today, I think I might actually have a nervous breakdown.
Warren: If that happens, just look at him with big eyes and start to cry. Maybe he’ll take pity on you.
Me: Are you actually encouraging me to have repairman sex?
Warren: (laughing) No. Hoping it might motivate him to give us a new dishwasher.
Jacob: What are repairman socks??

{{When did he come into the room?}}

repairman socks {riˈpe(ə)rˌman\ˈsäks\}
(noun)
the booties that repairmen wear over their shoes to avoid tracking dirt into the customer’s home.
(at least, that’s what it means now)

1 Stephen Einstein 04 October 2013 @ 3:54 pm at 3:54 pm

Your friends in NYC will probably give you a hard time about having to go a week without a garbage disposal.

2 PepGiraffe 04 October 2013 @ 5:16 pm at 5:16 pm

Hey, life is the pits if you are used to a garbage disposal and don’t have one. Solidarity, sister.

3 Rebecca Einstein Schorr 04 October 2013 @ 5:35 pm at 5:35 pm

You are the best sister ever.

4 JanetheWriter 04 October 2013 @ 7:37 pm at 7:37 pm

I’m with you. I’ve gotten used to all the smelly stuff that now has to go in the garbage can instead of the garbage disposal, but it took me a long time. Hope the repairman and his socks show up soon!

5 Ruth Adar 04 October 2013 @ 8:10 pm at 8:10 pm

Take it easy on yourself: you were used to keeping house a certain way, and then the darn thing blew up and with it your whole routine. So you used some paper plates and you miss one appliance very much. You are human and no one has had to go to the hospital with salmonella, nor have you terrified the repair guy with curses in Aramaic. I think you are doing great.

6 Ginny 05 October 2013 @ 10:37 am at 10:37 am

This post made me laugh. 🙂 Thanks for the morning chuckle. Here’s hoping for a miraculous diswasher cure!

7 Ginny 05 October 2013 @ 10:38 am at 10:38 am

Or maybe a “disHwasher” cure. (Must … have … coffee ….)

8 Happy2b 22 November 2013 @ 6:09 pm at 6:09 pm

I tried to put this comment on the page about the autism film, but it called me a spam filter trigger. I apologise. But here it is, way out of context. But it has a place for those who are in these shoes i am also wearing.

Mine is 8 years old now. I am widowed. This last one was born very late in my reproductive life, and db passed having never seen her. Now, this is all i do, 24/7, for years, not one days rest. Mine is profoundly delayed, nonverbal, autistic, has seizures. Moments, yes, i have them, bcause the isolation is as profound as the childs care. I am in some ways, sometimes, feeling a bit autistic by proxy. It isnt even possible to have a menorrah, or a sundown, or anything even on that level. No company. Everything in this home is a constant shambles, as she is very big for her age. And quick. I lost all friends, because they now live with grown children out of their homes, have their beloveds, and are nearing retirements and pleasures of the golden years. I have advancing rheumatic disease and severe cartilage breakdown in the neck and spine and tumors there and here, but cannot put time or energy into what would be time consuming medical efforts. Not yet, not now. Fortunately, no one ever died from pain, and the bone and joint and tumor troubles are not in any danger of soon becoming fatal. Just some days might give me pause, now and then. i have no time or energy to gain new friends, and i dont really want more autism as in “support group socials”. …..i really would not choose that for “balance”.

Now……On the strangely plus side….if you can believe me that there is one, (and i deeply appreciate that i have learned to see this plus)…..i have discovered a type of new discernment of how i view this life, this world, the way i see people, the way i see myself. I dont know what it all means, but it is a whole new twist to how i used to view….everything.

9 Irene Spitz 15 December 2013 @ 10:29 am at 10:29 am

Sending you (BIG BIG HUGS). Not sure what I can do to help from Chicago suburbs but do not hesitate to contact me. I can send internet support 24/7.
Irene