Heart-Broken

by Rebecca Einstein Schorr on 17 December 2013 @ 10:30 am

Heart_of_snow1

On average, the human heart weighs between nine and twelve ounces.
Less than a pound.
A hollow muscle.
But I defy any expert who disagrees that a heart can equal the weight of the observable universe.
Or falter from the suffocating pressure of a vise.
Or shatter into innumerable shards.
Or be uplifted on a melody.
Or sheltered by the love of thousands.

There was no need to look for You.
You sat among us, weeping.
You accompanied us to the grave.
You blanketed the earth with shimmering, sparkly snow.
You supported our hands as we tucked in Sammy for his eternal rest.

And You, the Healer of the Broken-Hearted, cast a me into a dreamless-slumber.
Enfolding me into the downy comfort of Your Protection.
Wiping my tears as I slept.

1 Heidi Kreizinger 17 December 2013 @ 10:32 am at 10:32 am

How did you know? I lost my brother in August. This was very lovely.

2 JanetheWriter 17 December 2013 @ 10:58 am at 10:58 am

Even as many would lose faith in God, you are painting God in a new light for me and others. Thank you, my friend. Wishing you strength and courage; sending you xoxo.

3 Rona 17 December 2013 @ 10:58 am at 10:58 am

While reading your beautiful commentary I thought about two of my friends who have lost a child. One at the age of five while undergoing a routine tonsilectomy. The other one ready to turn thirty, loving life and leaving in Paris and dying in her sleep from an epileptic attack just before FloJo died of the same ailment. Heart breaking and years later I marvel at my friends and their families and the changes they have made, drawing closer to each other and fingd ways to honor Henry and Lauren respectively. These tragedies occurred fifteen to twenty years ago and yet we still feel the spirits of them and celebrate the gifts they brought while on this earth and after.
God bless Sammy, his family, friends and the wonderful thirty six rabbis that shaved their hair to raise funds for awareness.

4 Aliza 17 December 2013 @ 11:10 am at 11:10 am

Such lovingly written truth. You are a gift, Rebecca.

5 Camille 17 December 2013 @ 11:56 am at 11:56 am

Really beautiful. Thank you. God bless the Sommers and bring them healing.

6 Lael 17 December 2013 @ 1:58 pm at 1:58 pm

So raw and simple, yet deep. I feel like I was there, too.

7 Amy P 20 December 2013 @ 11:06 am at 11:06 am

I don’t know the Sommers, but have friends who do and live in the Chicago suburbs, where I’m sure you know their story has touched and devastated many in the community. Your writings have been so beautiful, and painful, and intimate. Thank you.

Also, I’ve just realized you are Heath’s sister — Heath and I lived in DC at the same time and were friends through Heather Sacks. Just saw a FB post of his and made the connection. What a lovely family you have.